Friday, February 9, 2024

Moving On

    I'm finally going to begin the big portfolio project. It's pretty exciting having the freedom to create anything. It's one of the few times in my life where I've gotten that ability. I've been in my school's television production class for the past two years now, but the closest thing I get to true creative freedom in there is a music video, which is still incredibly restricting. I've been having ideas for different short films or just things I think would be cool to create for years now, but now that I'm presented with the opportunity, I feel a little stumped. Some of them wouldn't really fit as an opening or just straight up cannot be made by me at my current level of skill or resources. I think I just need to narrow down my ideas and figure out what would work best. 

    In class, we went over different approaches we can take when tackling the film opening. One that really intrigued me was developing a character. Character pieces have always caught my attention. I think the ability to fully exhibit the characteristics and motives and having the audience familiarize themselves with mannerisms and ideals of a character is super powerful stuff. I would be a bit limited in what I can do in just 2 minutes though. I think that showing instead of telling is a much more powerful way of depicting someone as well. I wouldn't want some boring exposition dump about how they do this or feel that. I'd want to focus on the character's appearance and interaction with the world around him. 

     I think a focus on developing character and developing character vs. self would create an interesting piece. Having the character be his own worst enemy, whether its through his actions or thoughts or whatever. The main issue both of these approaches is needed a decently good actor. Especially with the more subtle approach that I would prefer to take when walking down this path, an actor capable of going through with them and getting that on camera successfully seems DIFFICULT. I'll have to see how my ideas develop, I may completely shift gears and make like...a rom-com...or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Alright, so for my CCR, I have two videos answering the 4 questions. First I have a LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW that answers the first and second ...