Sunday, March 17, 2024

CREDITS

To research credits, I decided to look at other films in the genre. So I turned to a handful to see the similarities and differences and choose what I think will be best for mine. 

First, I looked at Uncut Gems. When they get to the credits, they have one name appear at a time on a lower third, alternating between the left and right third. It alternates between the left and right sides of the screen. The first couple of names were the actors, in order of importance. After the actors, things like casting, score, costume designer, editor, producers, etc. So for me, I would have the actors first, then have that followed by cinematographer, editor, producer, director, etc. I would have the text in the lower third, likely 2 at the same time since I do not have much time to work with. I'm thinking of keeping the credits to only the very first shot of the wide of the house and also sneaking the title near the end of that shot, but it just depends on how long the shot is and how much time the credits will take. 

The credits for Uncut Gems are shown in this video above

Moving on to my other big inspiration, Good Time does something pretty similar. About 16 minutes in, the credits begin playing, also only showing one name at a time, starting with the top-billed actors and then moving on to production (editing, producers, directors, writers, etc.). However, for Good Time, the white credits appeared in the middle of the screen instead of the lower third. 

In terms of the title, I was thinking of just having it play over footage of the opening, during the wide of the house, but when looking into the Killing Of A Sacred Deer, the title card for the film is over a black background. This made me consider going this route for the title, but I think my opening is a bit too dense for it to be in the middle, so I was thinking if I go this route, I would just have it at the very beginning. 

Above is the opening scene of Killing of a Sacred Deer

For my personal opening, I think I will use the lower thirds from Uncut Gems since I think that looks a bit cleaner and will allow me to put multiple credits if necessary if I end up being short on time. However, I would like to avoid doing this since having one name at a time is typically a convention of the genre. Having the title at the very beginning on a black background may create some intrigue, especially with the help of sound. Putting a riser on the black background with the title, and abruptly cutting to the wide shot could be very effective in terms of creating some suspense and curiosity over what is about to happen. Next on my list is font research for these credits and making a shot list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Alright, so for my CCR, I have two videos answering the 4 questions. First I have a LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW that answers the first and second ...