Wednesday, March 6, 2024

The Title

So I’ve been writing my script, doing my storyboard, developing my characters…but now I need to actually make a title. It’s something I’ve been dreading for a bit now. I typically dislike picking a title for some of my works since I usually really want to make it a good and solid title that fits the piece. Which is not really easy for me.

When doing some research, I found that titles can focus on three basic elements. These included the story idea, the character, or the theme. These aren't things that are set in stone, but I think it will provide me with some guidance. I wouldn't really want to focus on characters since I just don't think it will convey what I want it to. I'm more inclined to look at titles with the story idea or overall theme. 

So my first thought was connecting it to the robbery or stealing and all that. So I was thinking maybe “Breaking and Entering” but I thought it felt a bit corny and just didn't really fit. So I shifted my gears to the theme. Since it will be a stressful piece, I began thinking about what may convey this. I looked up synonyms for "stress" and "misfortune". But I couldn't really find much I actually enjoyed. 

Coincidentally, my media teacher had called me up to check on my progress and I asked her about any ideas for a title. She suggested something like "Bungle", meaning clumsy and incompetent, which I like as it describes the characters and how they get into this mess. Another suggestion she gave was just naming it "Malcolm and Sam" since the opening focuses on the two. But again, I don't really like the "name" title. I liked how Bungle sounded, so I put it in the thesaurus and began looking around. I found Mangled, to have the same definition as Bungled, and I liked it as well. 

And then there were two. So now it's between Bungled and Mangled. And since mangled also means to injure severely and mutilate, I think I'm settling on Bungled. I like it. Even though it sounds a little silly, I think it fits with the sillier aspects of the opening, like their ridiculous suggestions of what to do with the body. So now, my opening is called BUNGLED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Alright, so for my CCR, I have two videos answering the 4 questions. First I have a LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW that answers the first and second ...